Sunday, July 13, 2008

Fun on Weekdays & Work on Weekend!!!

Considering the fact that i had written all my previous posts while in the office and that too not in the lunch-time or free-time - but taking time off in between to finish the project work - it comes as no surprise that I am writing this post too on my office workstation (sounds cool ain't it, calling it a PC would be an insult, and what if it doesn't let me post in the future??). Actually I have 2 workstations, a "Work" work-station and a "fun" workstation. And no prizes for guessing where i spend most of my "Work Time".

But what makes me happy today is that there are not many people around (read the "nose-poking" head) to see whether am on the job, and i don't have to feel guilty about not working on the project. You ask me why?? Well...Its a Sunday!!!!!!!!!

I am sure the next question (from the ppl who know me) would be , "dude, you crib about going to gurgaon everyday then what the hell are you doing in the office on a sunday???"

All my life i have longed for having a 5 day week. I went to one of those schools which makes students come on Saturdays as well. Before getting into engineering college, i got myself admitted into B.Sc - Maths (Hons) course in Delhi University (South Campus) as a stop-gap thing. The whole university functioned for 5 days a week and to my shock, this particular college i went to, for 6 days. Till the time i was in that college (only for 2 months), i believed that they had a 5-day week until then and administration had thought, "lets wait for Kartik to join and then we can have a 6 day week".

After a hell of a wait I joined this engineering college which would eventually become my alma mater. I got to know that there would be a half day on saturday. Hurray!! God had finally listened to my prayers but alas, the 2 hour travel to get back home would again make it effectively a 6 day week. But in college there were no complaints as "those were the best days of my life"!!!

Then came my first job. Also a 6 days a week affair. I was there for 3 years. Considering today's scenario thats a pretty long time to stick to a single job. Picture this :

Me (beaming) : Hi, i got a job!!!!!
Mr X: wow, cool!!!! which company??
Me (still beaming): XYZ Co Pvt Ltd.
Mr X: Great, all the best!!!

1 year later,

Mr X: So.. where r u working now??
Me : XYZ Co Pvt Ltd.
Mr X: What?? Till now???

2 years later,

Mr X: There you are..Dont tell me you are with the same company till now..
Me : Guess what..?? I am.
Mr X: What the hell has happened to you?? Why dont u change jobs?
Me : ?%$%$%

3 years later (finally when i quit),

Mr X (beaming): Heard you've changed jobs.
Me : Well, Yeah!!
Mr X: Great!!! Had you stayed any longer, the company guys would've thought,"when is this guy gonna go??"

In fact it is true, i had seen many people come and go in the 3 years that I spent there. I think i can dedicate a post on the whole "job changing" thing but for now let me get back to the weekend thing.

A 2-day weekend does make a difference. The work week seems to be so much smaller now, a lot of house chores can be dealt with and one does get ample time to laze about and rest.

This is the first time in my life that i have got a 2-day weekend (not just the current weekend, i am talking abt the present job) and i get called to office on a Sunday. I guess i have put that time to good use by writing this post ;). Time to go home now......

3 comments:

sowmya said...

I absolutely agree with Mr X. Now that I'm gonna quit my 3 and a half year old job. I feel like as if...people have been observing..and measuring when a person might leave the company after 2 years.

Unknown said...

We used to get Second Saturdays off in school!! That accounts for something :)

Jaya said...

now you know HR job is not that easy