Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Lost and Found

The terms Find, Search, Look-For etc are primarily associated with search engines these days, google to be more specific. But Google isnt the place to look for stuff you lose. Wouldnt it be cool to have a search engine where you can look for the stuff you misplaced?

My wife loved the new entrant in her life so much that at times I felt jealous. Months passed, her love affair continued and bond between the two strengthened. Meanwhile, after many failed attempts of winning back my wife I had conceded my position to the new member. But alas, destiny had other plans. On a fateful wintery day of November, something terrible happened that left a deep void in her life. She was running errands and "it" dropped off from her jacket pocket without her knowing. Yes "her precious", the snazzy mobile which she bought a couple of months ago, was gone forever. It was a sad end to our love triangle. 

The next stop for us was Gumshuda Talaash Kendra, Nayi Kotwali, Daryaganj. Which reminded me of the Doordarshan notice in which a female, who herself looking lost, gave the description of the people in such a way that no one would want to look for them. (Kad - 5 foot 6 inch, Chehra - Gol, Rang - Saanwla etc etc). Everytime the description was the same, as if the guy got lost over and over again or was never found. Hang on, we had lost a "thing" and not a "person".

So a little searching on the web told us that the third best chance of getting back the lost mobile is  to lodge an FIR at the police station. Of course, the second best would be when the person who finds it calls you back (yes, it is more probable than cops finding it) and the best chance of getting back the lost mobile would be not losing it at all. My wife being the eternal optimist decided to go to the cops. Any sane individual would term this act as blatantly stupid but it's always worth giving a shot. The conversation went this way:

My wife: I lost my mobile phone yesterday. How do I get it back?

Cop: naya phone lelo!! (With an expression that had "case solved" written all over it). 

A little more of prodding and pushing resulted in the cops relenting and letting us know there is something called "noida cyber crime cell". A visit to this "office" left us pleasantly shocked (!) as it was an un-police station. There was a young-ish cop with a laptop, solving cases online. He was genuinely interested in solving our case and he asked all the details, the most important of which was the IMEI number. Armed with an FIR copy we left that place, feeling a little hopeful even when we knew that the probability of find a lost mobile phone is like finding a gumshuda Chinese guy!!! (for those who didnt get it, all chinese look the same - no offence meant to my oriental friends).
 
Lot of days passed without any news from the so called cyber crime cell. But we kept tabs on the status by frequent calls to the cops. My wife's distraught mood was as if someone had gone through a terrible break-up. She refused to use or like any other phone which was not "Samsung Galaxy S Plus". And then one fine sunday afternoon, i received a call from the cop, he said nonchalantly "aapka phone gum hua tha na, mil gaya hai aake le jao". My happiness knew no bounds. When I broke the news to my wife, she thought I was kidding. A frenzied jumping session, a quick dash to the market to get a box of Ferrero Rochers, and a mad drive to the cyber crime cell later we had in our hands our mobile phone in perfect working condition. To our surprise the cops didnt "ask" (or demand) for anything and refused to accept chocolates too. Hats off to those guys!!
 
So that my friends was how we lost and found our mobile. There have been a few other losts and founds too since the last time i blogged, the list goes like this:
 
-  I lost myself in mundane life and found the will to blog again
-  I lost my bachelorhood and found married life. (which is a bliss)
-  I lost all hatred and found respect for Noida cops (at least the cyber crime ones)
-  And finally, I didnt lose anything but I found my best friend in my wife :)
 

12 comments:

Rajat Singhvi said...

I 'found' the last line the best.. :) And yes, the 'Labels' line reads like a title of a Hindi movie (Cops, Life, Marriage, Wife) :P, like KLPD, LSD, etc. etc. P.S. I'm referring to the movie abbreviations here, i.e. Kismat, Love, Paisa, Dilli & Love, Sex aur Dhokha

Sukhpreet said...

I had a constant smile on my face while reading your blog. I don't think there's a better compliment than that!

My favorite part is the "ghumshuda talash kendra". Took my down the memory lane and reminded me of that 'aunty' who never got bored of repeating the same stuff again and again. Alas! Those were the days! :)

Sukhpreet said...

I had a constant smile on my face while reading your blog. I don't think there's a better compliment than that!

My favorite part is the "ghumshuda talash kendra". Took me down the memory lane and reminded me of that 'aunty' who never got bored of repeating the same stuff again and again. Unfortunately, nothing on TV sticks to our memory now!! That means, there was something magical about that time.

Alas! Those were the days! :)

Thanks for a delightful read!

Kartik said...

@Singhvi - LOL.. it wasnt intended but rhyme ho gaya.

Kartik said...

@Sukhi - Thanks for the comment. Yeah u r right, nothing we watch on TV registers. Not even the ads. we still remember the classic ads from the days of old.

sowmya said...

Wow !! Hats off to your positive attitude and patience. If it were me I would have just got another mobile or used my old sony ericsson. Blaming myself for everything! :P
Good write up. T'was a gripping tale!

Krithi said...

Have gotten so used to facebook that I was lost ;) looking for a 'like' here :)

So ill spell it out

Krithi LIKES your post :D

Good one!

Deepali said...

Great Blog Kartik!

Kartik said...

@Krithi - Kartik "like" your comment :P

Kartik said...

@Deepali - yahan bhi thanks :)

K Belina said...

I was not only enjoying the write-up but was feeling happy that this one had your touch. So I would say you lost and found your words which have the ability to put a smile on the faces that read them. Keep it up, son! Wish you could write for me...

Sravanthi said...

Loved it dost! It had ur usual witty flavour of making the daily bits into funny and cute reads!

Keep it going... Also, Party!!!! Phone mil gayi hai!!! :P :P